Does this work with 2 instances

Apr 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM

I am very interested in this, but I am wondering if it works OK with 2 instances.  I know some file upload methods write the file to local storage, and at the end write to the blob.  If you have 2 or more instances, then the load balancer can send chunks to each server, and when the file is done, no single server has the whole thing.  So, do you write each chunk to the blob as you receive it, or do that when the file is complete?

Thanks,

Mark Richards

Coordinator
Apr 14, 2011 at 8:16 AM

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your interest in my project.

At this point, the short answer is 'no', it doesn't. This is something that is on the cards though, and is something I want to add as soon as I find some time :)

In the mean time, though, you could always try rewriting the AzureBlobStorageProvider.Put() method so that it uses block blobs rather than page blobs. Something else worth considering may be how the FTP client deals with the load-balancing between individual instances. I would suspect the client would end up trying to reconnect many times. Therefore, I believe this would require a reasonably considerable amount of effort to use something like the AppFabric caching service in order that multiple instances can share connection state between them.

Let me know if you decide to have a quick go at rewriting the Put() method.

Thanks,

Richard.